Thursday, October 12, 2023

My little girl

I miss Sally so much…my little girl. I have lost my partner of so many years, at least 16 years, just like Harry. When I lost Harry, I still had Sally; now I feel real emptiness, with only the cats, Dory and Nemo. They are a comfort, though, thank goodness. I feel like I was more of a mother with Sally. She exhibited neediness toward me, and she was just such a sweet little girl. I remember soon after I got her, she hurt her paw at the dog park. It was a minor hurt; I believe she was more scared than anything else, and she yelped and came running toward me, seeking comfort. I ascertained that she hadn’t really hurt her paw and hugged her and comforted her. It gave me such a wonderful feeling to have her place her trust in me and look to me for safety and security.

After my trip to Rhode Island this summer, we had such a joyful reunion, hugging and kissing. But she started to go downhill quickly after that. In the following weeks, she got thinner and thinner, and finally stopped eating and drinking all together. I tried to revive her with fluids and meds from the vet, but I was forcing the meds down her throat and she just got so much worse that I called the vet and went in that same day, Sunday, September 24. It was very hard but they were very comforting and helpful. They easily sold me on the most expensive choices. I have her ashes now and a paw print; I felt I would regret not getting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment