Saturday, October 14, 2023

Oh my gosh, Mel

Mel was the greatest and most inspirational acting teacher. He helped me discover things in my performance that changed everything. Things like being rather than acting; the character is me living through her situation, and conversational reality. I loved him so dearly; he was so brilliant. And now he is gone. I knew it would happen, but I kept avoiding contacting him. I don’t know why. It was like I was afraid of the parting. I wish I had contacted him to talk to him one more time; that would have been wonderful.

Mel told me I should write. He said, “You’re too bright not to write.” I seem to remember J Ranelli, chairman of the theatre department at URI, also told me I should write. He was commenting on a little monologue I had written for this play we were sort of putting together in class. He was praising the monologue I had written, and was suggesting that I should write more. So I think I will.

I haven’t done any writing since. I’m still groaning over Mel’s demise. I can’t get the courage to call his number and speak to Joni.


No comments:

Post a Comment